48v battery powering 72v motor

Bobby

Local time
2:50 PM
Hello,
I have a 48v battery and considering getting a chain drive 3000w motor. The motor is rated at 72v, so does that mean I need 72v to run the motor or is that the maximum voltage the motor will accept? There are other chain drive motors rated at 48v which might pair better with a 48v battery?
Thanks for help.

Hello,
I have a 48v battery and considering getting a chain drive 3000w motor. The motor is rated at 72v, so does that mean I need 72v to run the motor or is that the maximum voltage the motor will accept? There are other chain drive motors rated at 48v which might pair better with a 48v battery?
Thanks for help.
Generally speaking it means motor is designed to run at 72 V. I suggest you find a motor design design to work at 48 V you can overvoltage it in the future someone but not to 72. Keep in mind you also need a controller that works at the same voltage as your battery and has sufficient amps output to handle the demands of the motor

the motors basically do not vary at all. Only the voltages the controller will accept, these will fall within a fairly narrow range.

Controller dictates acceptable voltage. Motor design changes exclusive to shedding more heat in hi-power versions, lower voltage for lower speed, higher V for higher MPH.

Back