2017 Haibike Yamaha

boss

Local time
10:57 PM
Individuals report problems with the way e-power is integrated into their pedaling motion. I have the subject hardtail and to me the power delivery is smooth. Am I insensitive? What have others discovered with their Yamaha systems?

I have a 2016 Haibike with a Yamaha motor and love it. I think it is very smooth and really bike like feel. I have ridden several other motors and think the Yamaha is the best out there. I have seen that it has gotten some bad rap and can't figure out why....?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 17, and now an 18. both were/are fine motors, although the assist on the 18 has a higher cadence, and lots of low end torque that I really like. No motor issues at all on either.
My 18 charges up quicker than my Levo, and seems to have better range as well.

I've always wondered why the Yamaha motor wasn't used on more bikes, I really like it. It has more torque than most of the motors and like you said the 18 has a higher Cadence that some people like but I don't mind I'm not a big spinner I'd rather mash it. And you can use a normal chain ring up front.

I rode my bike pretty hard and have not had one issue with the Yamaha motor either just seems Bulletproof. I have over a thousand miles on it don't know if that's a lot or not but not one issue.

Oh and one more thing you can peddle it without the battery and there's no resistance just seems like a normal bike. So if you ever ran out of battery you could actually pedal it.

They way i see it the 2017 is just great. It feels to me like each pedal is like a throttle. It does what i want when i want it.
I would not worry about all the garbage that is available to read online.
It might be people trying to bad mouth a great system because theirs have so many troubles.
It is obvious Specialized is all about BS selling not ready products and Shimano made big mistakes.
The one i trust are Yamaha, Rocky Mountain and if proven OK(reliable) the new Bosch.
I would buy one if i could find one my size. The problem here in Canada from what i read in 2020 there is no distribution.

Mine Haibike SDURO is a 2018 PW-SE; little difference from the 2017. It has two things about it that aren’t so good; torque drops off at high cadence and not as many points of engagement in the motor ratchet. I rarely notice either. 3700 miles problem free, and I haven’t noticed a range drop-off. The motor if anything has gotten quieter; this morning I had to linger behind some hikers for a while before they noticed me. I think that I’ll be riding the bike for years to come.

I have a SE and a X, and have ridden every motor brand except Bafang.
I find them all more similar than different - the Brose being the quietest, but wind noise at speed is louder than all of them.

I absolutely love both of mine - got the Explore a few months ago, liked it so well I just picked up the Trance.

From what I hear, the new 2020 X motor is super quiet, and provides higher cadence support and torque. Win win win all around.

The only thing I think holding them back today is lack of a larger battery pack. For me the 400w in the Explore is fine, and the 500 in the Trance is as well. But I'm old. :p

Hi i live in Settle North Yorkshire and yes i now some one has to live hear i have a Haibike i have had it from new it was bout in 2016 on the second so nearly 5 years old. I have had to replace the motor over that time but every way out of settle is a up hill climb on all but one a cation it has been water ingress through the drive side bearing. I picked up my forth new motor today from the bike shop it looks like i get a better bearing this time as the seal on the bearing is a red dust seal and not the black. Fingers crossed it lasts me a couple of years this time. I love the thing and i guess if you live in the wet all the time you have to expect this sort of think now and then.

Back