2 --- 500 w hubs = 1000 w?

jefferson10940

Local time
8:13 AM
I have a dually fat tire from PWR and it has a 500 w hub motor in the front and back, so 2 hub motors 500 w each. Would this be similar in power to a 1000w set up?
I am new to all of this, it seems to have plenty of power but I have nothing to compare it to.

Hey welcome to our humble home :cool:

In my opinion your bike with a front hub motor will pull pretty well....I've never ridden a dual motor ebike so i honestly cannot say :unsure:

I have a dually fat tire from PWR and it has a 500 w hub motor in the front and back, so 2 hub motors 500 w each. Would this be similar in power to a 1000w set up?
No. It would actually be faster. The real wonder of 2wd ebikes is the benefit of distributed traction. Among other things, the fact that both wheels are pulling you forward makes for some synergy that is just not possible when powering only one wheel. Your acceleration will also feel smoother and more effortless, for lack of a better term.

I have done quite a few 2wd bikes, including twin hub and mid-drive+hub. I did a write-up on the topic here.

My most recent 2wd is sort of a v2.0 of a Larry vs. Harry Bullitt. v1.0 is described in the series above in detail. This one is geared for the steepest of hills. Last weekend I did a run on Saturday that carried 100 lbs of gravel home from Home Depot, up over a very steep grade. I did it again on Sunday (a bag of gravel seems to cover about 1/4 of what you think it will). I took this pic on the way to Home Depot and I made it thru that deep sand. You will never get through deep sand by adding more power to the rear wheel no matter how much power you add. The front wheel will submerge without some power to keep it up on top.
20230325_123744.jpg

Also, this is my for-reals sand crawler. I take this along a deserted stretch of beach where if you lose it, the walk back pushing the bike is probably enough to kill you. Its 4 miles to the next inlet into shore that a bike can get up. Sand at this spot is moist and you can ride on top of it anyway, but that is only cuz this is a spot where a river overflows to the sea.

PXL_20211030_164834508.jpg

No. It would actually be faster. The real wonder of 2wd ebikes is the benefit of distributed traction. Among other things, the fact that both wheels are pulling you forward makes for some synergy that is just not possible when powering only one wheel. Your acceleration will also feel smoother and more effortless, for lack of a better term.

I have done quite a few 2wd bikes, including twin hub and mid-drive+hub. I did a write-up on the topic here.

My most recent 2wd is sort of a v2.0 of a Larry vs. Harry Bullitt. v1.0 is described in the series above in detail. This one is geared for the steepest of hills. Last weekend I did a run on Saturday that carried 100 lbs of gravel home from Home Depot, up over a very steep grade. I did it again on Sunday (a bag of gravel seems to cover about 1/4 of what you think it will). I took this pic on the way to Home Depot and I made it thru that deep sand. You will never get through deep sand by adding more power to the rear wheel no matter how much power you add. The front wheel will submerge without some power to keep it up on top.
View attachment 8199

Also, this is my for-reals sand crawler. I take this along a deserted stretch of beach where if you lose it, the walk back pushing the bike is probably enough to kill you. Its 4 miles to the next inlet into shore that a bike can get up. Sand at this spot is moist and you can ride on top of it anyway, but that is only cuz this is a spot where a river overflows to the sea.

View attachment 8201
I made a real easy one one time,I left the 350 watt on the back intact and put an "i MORTOR" 350 WATT" on the front actually worked pretty well, climbed well and of course the redundacy was rather nice

I made a real easy one one time,I left the 350 watt on the back intact and put an "i MORTOR" 350 WATT" on the front actually worked pretty well, climbed well and of course the redundacy was rather nice
Grin Tech did a video explaining how two motors end up being so much better than one. I didn't really believe my impression that one motor was too hot to touch, but two of them resulted in two motors that were barely warm. But there is a technical explanation for it. You create a system that essentially never even breaks a sweat.

Link is tee'd up to the exact spot where he goes over those details.

Back