130 Brands! What ebike do you have and would you recommend?

Hey i hope you good :),

I can only tell you that I am absolutely thrilled with my Icon S9 from Citypanta.
It falls into the integrated battery category, but it is far less known than Vanmoof etc.. The bikes are made by a professional manufacturer made in Germany, that even granted me a few special requests, like a brake light or a higher handlebar for my wife.
I can tell you that the components are truly top-notch. The concept of the 9-speed Shimano gear system paired with the torque sensor ensures that you are nimble even in hilly cities. I have not experienced such acceleration and sportiness with either Vanmoof or Schindelhauer.

They also produce a single-speed with carbon belt drive, which is even lighter.

The weight of my 9 gear one is under 17kg, which is appropriate for being fully equipped and also compliant with traffic laws. Even if the battery is empty, you feel like you're riding a normal bike because the rear motor can be disengaged.

But what impressed me the most is the design. I am constantly approached on the street for it. The modern and futuristic look makes it a real eye-catcher. My wife was also impressed with my bike and ultimately decided to buy the identical women's version in the summer.

A small downside is that the battery is not removable, but this benefits the design.

I hope I was able to help you a bit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Otherwise, you can check out the website CITYPANTA.com

Best regards,

Thomas Braun

Have 2 Pedego Elements. Very satisfied, have ridden in snow and it’s fun! Any issues and take them right to the dealer 9 miles away, problem solved!

I've got a Himiway Cruiser and I'm happy with it. It's heavy and is sort of the M1A2 Abrams tank of the ebike world but so far has been very reliable. It's not really built for doing fancy gymnastics or jumping but it's rugged and the prices are right. If you go to your local ebike shop they'll try to sell you on some fancy model that costs $6,000 or more but in reality isn't any better than a Himiway.

I wanted to buy a bike from a local store that would be able to provide service should there be any problems. That made for a list of bikes from Giant, Specialized, REI, or Trek. For a commuter or city bike I would have gone with REI. I wanted a lightweight road e-bike and so I bought the Specialized Turbo Creo SL (10 lbs lighter than the Trek equivalent).

Stealth electric bikes , made here in Victoria , Australia and exported all over the world including the USA . Lots of different models starting from your basic road bike right up to their flagship model the bomber B52. Their bikes are rated as some of the best manufactured ebikes in the world . I'm sure there is a model in their rage to suit you no matter what your needs or wants are . They don't sell cheap rubbish that's garanted , they only manufacture nothing but quality no matter what model you would be interested in . What's that old saying you get what you pay for . Get yourself a stealth electric bike and you won't be disappointed that for sure .

Electra Townie Go 8i Only 5i (5 speed) available now.
$3000
Very Satisfied
Highly Recommend

Have ridden it for about 1200 miles so far. Very comfortable daily exercise bike for an old guy like me. Hopefully- it will extend my cycling exercise another 5 years or so.

Cyclotricity stealth 250/1000w cost new around £1200. Bikes turn up damaged, batteries, controllers are usually duff, after sales is disappointing, refunds take forever. Luckily I bought mine secondhand & touch wood I've never had a problem with mine 2016. My second bike is a bafang mid drive 750w, donar bike, a Carrera subway
Scanning the list of company brands posted on this forum, I count 130. My guess is that there are even more.

That‘s a lot of companies! Talk about market saturation and consumer confusion.
It‘s no wonder that folks shopping for their first ebike are so overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin.

I know when I was shopping, I started with some of those “best of” write ups from several trade publications. Other than that (and people pouring over forums like this one), it’s hard to tell people where to start.

Anyone dare venture forth a list of Top 5 or Top 10 companies they would recommend?

Also, please share these things if you own an ebike(s)

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y/N)

Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. I've got a Lectric Xpremium and my wife has a RadRunner+, and I've got a Vanpowers City Vanture on the way. I'll do my daily rider and I'll probably post opinions on the other two bikes later.
  • Lectric XPremium
  • Cost
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • I paid $1800, but it's $1600 now, which is probably a better suited price.
  • Satisfied?
    • Somewhat
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y/N) - Depends
Things about the bike I like?
- It's a mid drive for less than $2k. It feels like a bicycle, not a motorcycle. It comes with hydraulic brakes. It's got pretty dang good range with the dual battery

Things I don't like about the bike?
- It's NOT fun to maintain. The bike weighs 80+ lbs. It is heavy. It is made like a $1600 bike, so you get what you pay for. I live in a hilly area and the original brake pads lasted 120 miles(!). I'm 180lbs and the bike is heavy so stopping takes some effort. As a result I upgraded the brakes at around ~500 miles to Area13 hydraulic 4 piston with 203mm rotors on front and back. Stopping power is much better. The original chain died at around 500 miles and the original gear cassette is losing its 4th and 5th gears (the ones most used). They cheaped out pretty much everywhere they could, which I can't fault them for because you get what you pay for, but honestly I'd pay $200 more to not have to swap all this stuff out so quickly.

Would I recommend the bike?
Maybe. I've folded the bike once. If you don't need to fold it often, the mechanism is just extra weight on an already heavy bike. I know folding is Lectric's thing but honestly the bikes' selling point is their low cost mid drive motor, not foldability. If you really want a mid drive like me but don't want to spend over $2k this is basically the only decent option. If I were dictator at Lectric and I got to make changes to the bike, I'd make the bikes come with 180mm rotors, 4 piston hydraulic brakes upgrade the gears and charge $200 more. I personally wouldn't buy it again without those changes being as heavy as I am and needing to tackle the hills I need to tackle. I'd either save up and go for something like the Priority current so I don't have to deal with the chain and gears, or I'd go for a cheap hub drive like Ride1Up LMT'D.

I recommend the Euybike F6 e-bike and I have to say it's worth every penny...Equipped with a 48V 18AH large capacity battery and 750 W brushless geared rear hub motor.
I've been riding it for over 1 year and it's performing perfectly so far. My brother even swapped his old conventional bike for a Euybike F6 e-bike. lol

Scanning the list of company brands posted on this forum, I count 130. My guess is that there are even more.

It‘s no wonder that folks shopping for their first ebike are so overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin.

I know when I was shopping, I started with some of those “best of” write ups from several trade publications. Other than that (and people pouring over forums like this one), it’s hard to tell people where to start.

Anyone dare venture forth a list of Top 5 or Top 10 companies they would recommend?

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
In July 2021 I bought a $1299.00 wtva folding step thru 750 watt rear hub.its been a great bike,great service.still running strong 20x 4 tires.im 5-9 255 pounds and on flat ground I went 33mph.I just got an ariel rider grizzly ($3299.00) ,I love it with 2 batteries 35 ah, 2 motors 1000 watt each, 3750watt total,moped style with suspension forks and dual air adjustable coil over shocks. 99% of all ebikes use parts that a r e very easy to get. Good luck and see ya on the trail.those are my tail lites

I just added another eBike, so posting again here:
  • Aventon / Level.2
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
  • Would you recommend to others? Y
You can see my review thread in the Commuter eBikes subforum, but in short, I really like it. I catch myself going pure mechanical more often than I thought I would, after the fat tire eBike I was riding previously. I REALLY like not having knobby tires.

The brakes are quiet & smooth. The tires have street tread and are rated 40-60 psi. I have them at 50 and they seem to do more shock absorption than the 20 psi tires on my old fat tired eBike.

At times, I feel like the assist is too strong, even on PAS 1, but when I turn it off, I only lose a couple mph, so some of that is just that it rolls so much more efficiently.

• Brand / Model:RANDRIDE Explorer Pro
  • Cost
    • $$= $2000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
Full suspension, fat tire, 1000w motor, 17ah battery, Shimano 27 speed and hydraulic brake

Absolutely, the e-bike market can be overwhelming with so many options. At Zen Ebikes, we offer the Zen Photon, designed to balance speed, durability, and affordability. It reaches up to 28 Mph, has a 1040 Wh battery for up to 85 miles range, and a 500W motor.

Brand/Model: Zen Photon Cost: $$$ ($2999 in the US, $CAD 3999 in Canada)

We're confident the Photon offers great value. Feel free to explore it for your e-bike needs.
It's taken me 5 yrs to get my head around what bikes, kits to buy. It's taken me the same amount of time to learn to solder, find a reputable battery supplier & what companies to avoid. It's not an easy task & there's so many rough companies out there, that'll happily sell you a lemon & then turn their backs on you.

We have 2 e-bikes we purchased in late September

Juiced RipRacer is mine, got it on sale for a third of usual price. I am 65 and an old MTB/Dirtbike/Quad rider and I love the bike, good power and handles like a BMX/MTB. 4” tires really do well in the gravel and on trails, great brakes. Battery is easy to deal with as we have to take them in in the winter here in Idaho. Only real complaint is I am still waiting for the rear rack to become available. Several e-bike friends have tried it and liked it better than their as it is easy to get on and off of without being a step through and had better handling. Shipping of the bike is class A, very well padded and no concerns. Customer service has been good, needed to replace the weather strip on the battery compartment as it was not sticking well. They sent a replacement that arrived in a couple of days. Always available to answer questions.

Lectric XP 3.0 step through for the wife. Also got this on-sale and she enjoys it although she has not ridden it much yet due to weather, she also tried her friends older 3.0 and liked it. I have ridden it 4 or 5 miles and it has good power and a 7 speed rear cassette. We are hilly here and hers is easier to get up the hills on while using PA. Hers seems to have a steeper steering head angle than my RR and you notice it around our place due to all gravel, it tends to want wash out quicker when the gravel is deep, sure the 3” tires contribute also. I put the comfort package on hers and it is a definite winner in both of our opinions. I like the permanent rear rack on hers as it is STOUT. The bike folds and is fairly easy to get in the back of our truck for camping (use the tub trick, it makes moving it around much easier). Based on her 3.0 I am considering an Xperia lite for an extra/loaner.

In closing, we are new to e-bikes but not riding, we would recommend either of these bikes and their companies to friends

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
I have a Trek Verve +3 step through (mid drive) and an Aventon Abound cargo bike (rear wheel drive). I really like the more “natural feel of the mid drive motor and the longer range of the Trek, but dang it!!! The Abound is such a blast to play on.

• Heybike / Mars
  • Cost
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $899 with a $200. discount
  • Satisfied?
    • Hell Yes
  • Would you recommend to others? Yes indeed
Have had it now for just over a year and have clocked 1500 miles on it. The only one issue is I had flat tire, because of a dang paperclip.

I am disinclined to recommend any brand, as too many eventually go under or "cash-in on their name" once they have a following.

But, I will endorse a "type" of bike. Those which use industry standard battery packs (Such as Hailong) and use common motors like Bafang.
I see too many online postings from people who have been Orphaned by their bike manufacturer closing, and available parts dropping to zero.
I like the idea of having key components which will likely be available for years to come.

I got another ebike, an eMoped this time.

A Juiced HyperScrambler 2. Once unlocked, it’ll go 28 mph on throttle pretty easily. It’s not comfortable to pedal, so consider it a “riding the loophole-type bike”.

I’ve added lighting to mine, as well as the rack, fenders and a top case for easy shopping runs.

I got it in the winter, so I don’t really know what the proper range will be; it’s a lot less when it’s cold out. I DO know that I gained 10 lbs. when I got this bike, as it’s not comfortable to pedal.

I do recommend it, only with the caveat that this is not a bike on which to get exercise. It’s sweat-free urban transportation.

Here are my ratings:
  • Make/Model: Juiced HyperScrambler 2
  • Cost
    • $$= $1000-$3000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
Think of it as a moped, but without the need for registration, insurance or extra training.

One COULD pedal it home in a pinch, if the batteries were depleted, but that would not be a good day.

Back