130 Brands! What ebike do you have and would you recommend?

I forgot the biggest downside for me is the 60nm tourqe motor. The fork is also a little stiff. But I've had it up to 34mph on flats.
The fork should be pretty adjustable. I bet you could soften it up by unlocking lockout (knob on top of right fork stanchion) and adjusting pre-load (knob on top of left fork stanchion).

Agree on the 60nm max torque being a bit of a bummer (the Aventure has 80nm and is quick to accelerate and climbs very well with assist), but I'm still interested in the Ride 1Up 700 (step through - more versatile for guests of different heights).

Thanks for the feedback on the 700.

Thanks, the fork is mozzo I can't find any info on it. The web site is one page tells you nothing and has no content or contact info that found usefull. I have the preload set as good as I can get now. But I plan on replacing it as soon as I can not going to spend 500 but something. Yeah I just wish it was a little more powerful. Also just checking out the juggernaut thanks for the tip.

Thanks, the fork is mozzo I can't find any info on it. The web site is one page tells you nothing and has no content or contact info that found useful. I have the preload set as good as I can get now. But I plan on replacing it as soon as I can not going to spend 500 but something. Yeah I just wish it was a little more powerful. Also just checking out the juggernaut thanks for the tip.
There is a great Biktrix video on Youtube where one of the company founders rides one of the dual-battery center drive models (several hundred more gets you a center drive rather than a hub drive with Biktrix) almost 100 miles on higher PAS settings (mostly flat - they are in prairie/plains Canada) to get a brewpub several towns over from the town of their HQ. Pretty impressive.

On the Mozzo, make sure it's not locked out or nearly so on the adjustment atop the righthand stanchion. On the Aventure I had a similar experience - I'd adjusted pre-load but still didn't get much compression and figured out I'd misread the tiny typeface on the righthand adjustment knob and rather than having it nearly unlocked, instead had it near lock-out.

There's no convention on whether the lockout knob loosens or tightens counter-clockwise, so you may have to mess around with the righthand knob. The Mozzo should have almost 4" of travel unlocked whereas the Zoom used on the Aventure has only 3" of travel. Good luck with the fork sorting.

Addmotor Motan M-560 P7 owner (still pretty new).
Here's my more in-depth review and ongoing notes if you like to read.

The short summary, If you aren't 5'11" or taller, if you don't have at least a 31" inseam on your leg, if you can't handle a 74lb bike, this is NOT the ride for you. If you do meet or exceed those measurements it's a big, aggressive, brute of a bike that will carry you just about anyplace even loaded down with cargo.

As for the company, Addmotor's customer support has some issues (poor english being one element). If need to contact their customer support be PATIENT and keep your communications simple and short, and things will go well. If you get rambling or impatient things can go sideways fast even though they really do seem to be trying to stand behind their products.

Scanning the list of company brands posted on this forum, I count 130. My guess is that there are even more.

That‘s a lot of companies! Talk about market saturation and consumer confusion.
It‘s no wonder that folks shopping for their first ebike are so overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin.

I know when I was shopping, I started with some of those “best of” write ups from several trade publications. Other than that (and people pouring over forums like this one), it’s hard to tell people where to start.

Anyone dare venture forth a list of Top 5 or Top 10 companies they would recommend?

Also, please share these things if you own an ebike(s)

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y/N)
Velowave - Ghost Retail $1500 shipped - very satisfied - I would recommend - 28 MPH easily -500w- 2.75' tires so good for moderate off road and great on city - has beefy frame with integrated battery. Brakes are mech disk and were a bit of work to get rubbing adjusted out. 200 miles so far. Added Rear racks and fenders - also bought aftermarket saddle bags - occasionally use it to tow small kid trailer sometimes with grandkid and mostly for cargo to the beach.
Just bought Aostirmotor S07G White step through - 750w - Fat Tire for wife. came with Rear rack and fenders. $1050 will wait till we get more riding in to pass judgement on Satisfied and recommend questions.

Lectric xp Lite, $800 is my second ebike, the original xp being the first.

I loved the original but it came up short on my expectations mainly because of size. The 4” tires were too big for the racks on the public buses and it was just a little heavy and difficult to fit into a car trunk easily.

Enter the Lite, about 3” shorter and around a third lighter it sounded perfect to muzzle my whining. It’s proved that and more.

The lighter weight and thinner tires really bring it back towards a bike feel and handling, while the smaller motor still keeps pace with the original up to 20mph both PAS and throttle. The single gear hasn’t been an issue for me on our local hillsides.

The cheap price left room for a couple of upgrades (air forks, grips, thumb throttle, handlebars and rear rack), none of which was a “need”. The only upgrade that this bike truly needs out of the box are a decent seat and suspension seat post.

I had no issues with the original and only had to change break pads twice and a set of tires once in 3400 miles. I’d recommend this bike all day long just for the weight alone.

I have a highly modified Magnum Payload, and my wife has a Magnum Metro; both were about $2K.
We are very satisfied, but these were impulse purchases based on features at one store, we didn't comparison shop, we possibly could have done better on price or performance. These are the only eBikes I've seen outside of a store!
Still, I would recommend these models.

My main complaint about eBikes in general is that there aren't many shops that will work on them, or sell parts for customization.
I was surprised at how many bike shops and bikers are openly hostile towards eBikes.

I was surprised at how many bike shops and bikers are openly hostile towards eBikes.

I imagine we’ll see less and less of that soon. With the skyrocketing popularity of ebikes, unless bike stores get “on board,” they’ll probably be soon out of business, IMO.

I noticed when I was in my LBS a few weeks ago, at least 20% of the inventory were eBikes, and that’s where all the customers (cool kids :cool:) were hanging out.

I have a Bafang BBS02B 750W on my Trek FX 7.2 and my wife has the 500W on a Trek Verve3. Cost of bikes + kits $$ each.
We like them a lot!

Yamaha Cross Core, and yes, I would recommend if it suits your purpose and budget.

I began researching ebikes for my stepdaughter. I had no intention of buying one. Then we went out test riding, and my wife was immediately hooked, and I was at least infatuated. My wife decided that it would be a class 1, so we narrowed it down from there. The Yamaha Cross Core seemed to have exactly what she was looking for, (3 year warranty, being a long established company, good range, plenty of power, not too heavy, not out of the budget and it handles like a decent hybrid should).

A couple weeks later and after trying to ride together with me on my road bike and her on the ebike, I realized that the two were not compatible. She would pass me on any steep hill and I would blow by on then decent or the flats. Basically, we could do the same ride, but not really together, so kicking and screaming, I bought one too.

After a few months on the Yamaha, I have not seen anything that would have been a better choice for us, for the money. I did make a lot of changes to the stock bike, but even with the upgrades, they still come in at a lower price than most of the established companies mid drives and they are set up as we want them.

Both of our Cross Cores are used as flat bar, gravel ebikes. Both have been upgraded with Shimano 1x11 SLX drivetrains, (46t up front with a 11-42 cassette), Maxxis 40mm Receptor gravel tires, Cane Creek suspension seat posts, Red Shift suspension stems and Salsa Deluxe Bend handlebars. Basically the Cross Core was a very good platform from which to build the bikes that we wanted, (the bikes that we ended up with are not really available turnkey from anyone).

I did manage to damage a wheel during transport and Yamaha didn’t have any available, so my Cross Core has a set of DT Swiss CR1600 wheels. The originals were decent and I would not have replaced them, but these are definitely an upgrade, (the only issue was the proprietary speed sensor which was not a big deal. I just had to turn a groove on the left flange. Fortunately, I have a good lathe). Not too fancy, but it does the job very well and we enjoy them very much.

A2910DCA-CB68-42D3-B683-41CA5F051AA5.jpeg

4CB1754F-69F0-4672-868C-9FFC377EBB4C.jpeg

I have a Bee Cool Pathfinder. I am a newbie, but not stupid. It checked all the boxes. I had a budget, and it fit. This bike came and was assembled promptly. SInce I have had it, it has rained a lot. I have 40 miles on it. No issues at all. I order a pannier bag for the back, a different stem to add height and angle, and a mirror. On my first ride, I told myself to be careful. The bike is fast. I weigh 280 and 80 lbs for the bike and I can coast with it. Battery is excellent, the seat and forks are easy and comfortable. Today my truck rack came in and this weekend i will take a harder ride on it. So far, no issues at all.
I bough my wife a Velectric bike. It was paid for two weeks ago and they have not shipped it. They promised I would get it by next Wednesday. I know nothing about it, but it seems to have a good rep online. Looks like a quality bike with a 500 volt battery. I will let you all know.

There is a great Biktrix video on Youtube where one of the company founders rides one of the dual-battery center drive models (several hundred more gets you a center drive rather than a hub drive with Biktrix) almost 100 miles on higher PAS settings (mostly flat - they are in prairie/plains Canada) to get a brewpub several towns over from the town of their HQ. Pretty impressive.

On the Mozzo, make sure it's not locked out or nearly so on the adjustment atop the righthand stanchion. On the Aventure I had a similar experience - I'd adjusted pre-load but still didn't get much compression and figured out I'd misread the tiny typeface on the righthand adjustment knob and rather than having it nearly unlocked, instead had it near lock-out.

There's no convention on whether the lockout knob loosens or tightens counter-clockwise, so you may have to mess around with the righthand knob. The Mozzo should have almost 4" of travel unlocked whereas the Zoom used on the Aventure has only 3" of travel. Good luck with the fork sorting.
Ty

Yeah lockout full open has travel but the thing doesn't really do much till you hit something 4" or a big quick rise curb. The dampening is not very tunable either just back or starts compounding. It's been a little better lately maybe cause I have 1000 mi on it now but we will see still plan on a rocksox upgrad . Thanks for the advise.

I might as well kick things off.

Aventon Pace 500 v2 (next gen)
$$
Very satisfied
Would recommend

Notes:
-Disclaimer that I have only had the bike for about 3 months (but have 700 miles on it).
-Bike very well oriented toward somebody wanting to commute or take country rides
-Company with preceding reputation of questionable customer support. I wonder if this was pandemic related. My questions and concerns have been promptly answered by them (but they are email only).
I guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend and range etc. I bought a Rattan 750LF a few months ago and am extremely satisfied for the price. I got mine on sale for $1k. It's a foldable fat tire. I've got almost 100 miles on it and have been surprised at the power and torque, esp at crosswalks. It really takes off quick. I've raced several other Ebikes and though they catch up I always have a big lead. I get about 50 miles range out of it and it's max speed, restricted, is around 22mph.
This being said I do plan on making some upgrades. I'm going to replace the tires with Kenda's and possibly the controller and add another battery. Ebikes are addictive! I love my Rattan for the price but I'm already looking forward to building my own in the future. Hope this helps

Lectric XP 2.0 step thru. 500w hub motor. Paid $999 plus got a comfort seat upgrade for anoth $99. Well made bike. Came fully assembled....had to add air to tires. In first six weeks.....I've put on 165 miles. HAd to adjust front brake...took less than 5 minutes. Had minor problem with display flickering.....contacted Lectric....great service.....send me a video....fixed problem in minutes. My ebike is a folding bike....I will take it camping with us. I am sure there are better bikes out there but for me......the price was right and the quality is impressive. I am 6'4' and 230 lbs.....I am an old guy with a new right knee and hip....I got the bike for exercise.....I do 4 to 7 miles almost every night.....I ride in PA 1 80% of time....we have many hills.....the bike meets all the challenges. I would highly recommend this bike.
I just test-rode a used XP 2.0 yesterday. I agree with all points. One downside though, is weight. The frame is steel, not aluminum. Rust is another consideration in coastal areas.
I just might own one of these soon.

"130 Brands! What bike do you have and would you recommend?"

I believe that the subject of this thread is overly broad. Instead starting with individual (specific) bike recommendations, a potential buyer should start off by identifying his or her needs. These are my top four parameters:
  • Speed
  • Distance traveled on one charge
  • Hill-climbing
  • Price
And there are many, many others factors that the buyer might consider as "must have" features:
  • Frame (low step or step-thru, mid-step, high-step)
  • Style (commuter or street, beach, mountain or trail, racing)
  • Height (stand-thru height, seat height, handlebar height, pedal separation)
  • Brakes (some people are particular on their brake set-up)
  • Tires (off-road, fat, commuter, racing)
  • Weight
  • Portability/storage (some people have these needs for busing or for cramped apartments)
  • Passenger weight limits
  • Cargo carrying ability
  • Safety features (headlights, brake lights, turn signals, warning lights)
Once the buyer's needs have been identified, then the task of identifying a suitable model that fits his or her needs can be taken up for discussion.

Note: Sometimes the buyer's needs may be presumed simply by the buyer identifying what type of person he is. For example, a 70-year old senior. I'd automatically assume that ease of mounting/dismounting/standing over the bike would be a priority, hence a step-thru frame would be desirable. I'd assume that this person isn't commuting to work or school and has little to no off-road needs, so I'd suggest a cruiser or beach style bike.

Yamaha Cross Core, and yes, I would recommend if it suits your purpose and budget.

I began researching ebikes for my stepdaughter. I had no intention of buying one. Then we went out test riding, and my wife was immediately hooked, and I was at least infatuated. My wife decided that it would be a class 1, so we narrowed it down from there. The Yamaha Cross Core seemed to have exactly what she was looking for, (3 year warranty, being a long established company, good range, plenty of power, not too heavy, not out of the budget and it handles like a decent hybrid should).

A couple weeks later and after trying to ride together with me on my road bike and her on the ebike, I realized that the two were not compatible. She would pass me on any steep hill and I would blow by on then decent or the flats. Basically, we could do the same ride, but not really together, so kicking and screaming, I bought one too.

After a few months on the Yamaha, I have not seen anything that would have been a better choice for us, for the money. I did make a lot of changes to the stock bike, but even with the upgrades, they still come in at a lower price than most of the established companies mid drives and they are set up as we want them.

Both of our Cross Cores are used as flat bar, gravel ebikes. Both have been upgraded with Shimano 1x11 SLX drivetrains, (46t up front with a 11-42 cassette), Maxxis 40mm Receptor gravel tires, Cane Creek suspension seat posts, Red Shift suspension stems and Salsa Deluxe Bend handlebars. Basically the Cross Core was a very good platform from which to build the bikes that we wanted, (the bikes that we ended up with are not really available turnkey from anyone).

I did manage to damage a wheel during transport and Yamaha didn’t have any available, so my Cross Core has a set of DT Swiss CR1600 wheels. The originals were decent and I would not have replaced them, but these are definitely an upgrade, (the only issue was the proprietary speed sensor which was not a big deal. I just had to turn a groove on the left flange. Fortunately, I have a good lathe). Not too fancy, but it does the job very well and we enjoy them very much.

View attachment 5233

View attachment 5231

Nice ride! That looks like a "biker's bike" intended for experienced riders, not for Sunday recreational riders. 250W motor/70 nM doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a mid-drive so I imagine that it probably packs a punch with the way you set up your cassette. 46 lbs. weight dry makes it suitable of pedaling. It's the sort of bike that would have had me salivating if I were younger. (y)

Trek Verve II
Price $$
Very satisfied
Would recommend
This has the Bosch power train; buddy has the same setup in another frame, and said he was quite satisfied.
I tried to do some research before shopping, and was simply overwhelmed with minutiae. So I went with my friend's setup.
The bike comes very well equipped; lights, fenders, rear carrier, great seat. Only thing I've added is a rearview mirror, tho' will likely add a pannier to the rack.
BTW, been in the habit of leaving the headlight on, much in the fashion of daytime running lights. Our local bike trails do have a bunch of tunnels as well.
Dan

A great place to start your search is at a REI store if there is one in your vicinity. Excellent bikes with 27.5 x 1.95 tires which are the most common size for mountain bikes and so many choices for tires in the future as well as good ride for city streets and dirt roads. They start at $1800 and REI has excellent post sale support which is important. These are bikes with electric motor assist and not the 70 lb electric scooter type of bike.

Scanning the list of company brands posted on this forum, I count 130. My guess is that there are even more.

It‘s no wonder that folks shopping for their first ebike are so overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin.

I know when I was shopping, I started with some of those “best of” write ups from several trade publications. Other than that (and people pouring over forums like this one), it’s hard to tell people where to start.

Anyone dare venture forth a list of Top 5 or Top 10 companies they would recommend?

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
I have a wtva,vtuvi is the same.for 16 months and it's been a real good ebike.only problem was noisy brakes so I bought some cable pull hydraulic brakes.NO NOISE AND STOPS GREAT. BIKE WAS $1299. On amazon it's a 20 inch fat tire foldable

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not