130 Brands! What ebike do you have and would you recommend?

Snoop

Local time
12:11 AM
Scanning the list of company brands posted on this forum, I count 130. My guess is that there are even more.

That‘s a lot of companies! Talk about market saturation and consumer confusion.
It‘s no wonder that folks shopping for their first ebike are so overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin.

I know when I was shopping, I started with some of those “best of” write ups from several trade publications. Other than that (and people pouring over forums like this one), it’s hard to tell people where to start.

Anyone dare venture forth a list of Top 5 or Top 10 companies they would recommend?

Also, please share these things if you own an ebike(s)

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y/N)

I might as well kick things off.

Aventon Pace 500 v2 (next gen)
$$
Very satisfied
Would recommend

Notes:
-Disclaimer that I have only had the bike for about 3 months (but have 700 miles on it).
-Bike very well oriented toward somebody wanting to commute or take country rides
-Company with preceding reputation of questionable customer support. I wonder if this was pandemic related. My questions and concerns have been promptly answered by them (but they are email only).

I own a Magicycle Ocelot pro ebike for half years, and it can handle all kinds of terrain and hills.
-52V 20Ah Battery
1f50b.png
Supplied by Samsung / LG
-Tektro Hydraulic Brakes, that helps me can brakes suddenly and more secure!
-70 Miles of max range, i also prepare another one battery for backup, becasuse i always go for a little long riding.
-750W 96N.m Torque Motor
⚡️

-Last but not least, Magicycle's after-sales service is great, they seems like never sleep, 24online....so i can get answer anytime.

Well, this idea fell flat I guess. :confused:
With you on having some sort of list to sift through the 130+ brands. Or even a simple tier list. I'm trying to find some type of ebike sort list of any kind as well.

C'mon guys, @Snoop is almost asking you to brag/complain about your ebike. :devilish:
I'll settle for say 3 entries to compare and contrast with. Any takers?

Lectric XP 2.0 step thru. 500w hub motor. Paid $999 plus got a comfort seat upgrade for anoth $99. Well made bike. Came fully assembled....had to add air to tires. In first six weeks.....I've put on 165 miles. HAd to adjust front brake...took less than 5 minutes. Had minor problem with display flickering.....contacted Lectric....great service.....send me a video....fixed problem in minutes. My ebike is a folding bike....I will take it camping with us. I am sure there are better bikes out there but for me......the price was right and the quality is impressive. I am 6'4' and 230 lbs.....I am an old guy with a new right knee and hip....I got the bike for exercise.....I do 4 to 7 miles almost every night.....I ride in PA 1 80% of time....we have many hills.....the bike meets all the challenges. I would highly recommend this bike.

Coming from a pedal road bike background, I put together something together that reflects that. Gravel bike frame, 700 c wheel set etc. Cost in the $$ range, very happy so far. So if one didn't mind tinkering around, I would suggest DIY to them.

Scanning the list of company brands posted on this forum, I count 130. My guess is that there are even more.

It‘s no wonder that folks shopping for their first ebike are so overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin.

I know when I was shopping, I started with some of those “best of” write ups from several trade publications. Other than that (and people pouring over forums like this one), it’s hard to tell people where to start.

Anyone dare venture forth a list of Top 5 or Top 10 companies they would recommend?

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
Cyclotricity 250/1000w £1,599.98 nothing but a pain in the rear end avoid at all costs https://www.cyclotricity.com/uk/electric-bikes/stealth-1000w-e-mountain-bike.html

hello. bought a polarna m4 foldable e bike on recommendation from sonny whitehearst you tube videos. have rode it for almost 200 miles now. the bike is really fun. the sine wave controler lets the bike ease into the power when you pedal. overall a solid well built with the exception of the rear fender bracket bike. lots of features for the money. also have a lectric 2.0 step thru. its fun and fast. just wish it had 4 inch tires. seems a little less stable in gravel than the 4 inch tires on the polarna.

If ur looking for Big smiles & fun miles on the trail mountain ebike. U wanna get ur legs around a Himiway Corbra Pro. With a few upgrades u can make the Himi CP into a Jack of all trails ebike. The CP is equipped with a 10spd cassette drive hub and sgs long cage derailleur. Which makes it simple to re-gear and change your cassette and chain ring to accommodate ur riding preference. Dropper seat post and loam control lever & upgraded saddle is recommended to replace overly wide factory saddle and stationary seat post. Consider it to be a safety tip to protect the nutts & butts on steep descents. No tubes conversion is doable with the stock wheels n tires. But not recommended or covered for liability by the manufacture. The stock inverted front fork and DNM rear shock keeps the CP stable and hooked-up & planted on loose and hard packed single track. CP is a heavy ebike so don’t plan on doing any hike-a-bikes. Once you get accustomed to the characteristics the CP weight is a non-issue. With a 1000watt mid drive motor backed by a 48v power supply has the gitty-up and go for a all day adventure. Strictly a Desert n Mtn ebiker. Streets are only to get too and from a trail head. Oh yah, need to mention from reading past blogs. Himiway offers a 2yr manufacture guarantee. Personally I think it’s a decent product for the Chedda $. But, beware they are in the business to sell bikes they don’t fix or repair when things go wrong. Taking all this into consideration you may want to purchase from a reputable E bike shop for support. E-bike forums are informational and supportive to help out when things go out of wack!! Stay tuned, You Are Your Own Best Asset..
Brand / Model Himiway/CobraPro
  • Cost
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
  • Satisfied?
    • Somewhat
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y)

Attachments

• 05A0227C-99B2-4AB5-AB8A-31935B1C64DB.jpeg
    05A0227C-99B2-4AB5-AB8A-31935B1C64DB.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 04159AC0-8482-4EEE-9BF5-57D86EC2412C.jpeg
    04159AC0-8482-4EEE-9BF5-57D86EC2412C.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 168
aventon pace 500
$$
400 miles ridden
well made, dependable, dealer is close by, wish it had front shocks.
i would reccomend it.

KBO step through breeze. Too big for me, I'm 5'4". Too heavy for me at 70 lb plus. cost was ok $1400. Had problems with controller and/or pedal sensor. They replaced but didn't pay for labor, just replaced parts. Will be selling so I can buy the smaller and lighter Averton Pace 500 v2 that can be serviced locally.

I've only ridden the three I have below, but I would put Lectric in the Top 10, as they are good quality for the price. No squeaky brakes or any other problems. Motor seems to be rated honestly and ditto for the range rating. Good quality components, even if they're basic.

I don't think I'd put heybike in the Top 10.

The Sailnovo is a great little bike, but with significant caveats.

It's a shame the professional reviewers are sponsored, and so we can't necessarily trust them as much as we'd like to. They've ridden a LOT of bikes.

BIKE 1
  • heybike / Ranger
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y/N) Screechy brakes and pedals, bad seat, not as good a value as it first appears. Would recommend Lectric XP 2.0 instead, for less money. (based on the quality of my XP Lite, below)

BIKE 2:
  • Sailnovo
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y/N) It's compact even though only the handlebars fold. Not worth pedaling over 10 mph, so for exercise, it's low speed-only. It advertises a 500 W motor, but doesn't feel like it. The 300 W motor in the Lectric XP Lite as a LOT more powerful, maybe due to its 48 V battery. (this one is 36 V) However, this must all be balanced against its $500 price, which undercuts most eBikes out there now. Quality and design are good.

BIKE 3:
  • Lectric / XP Lite
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y/N) Really good quality for the money. Its one gear is about like the 5th gear on my Ranger, but since it's electric, this was a good call. It would be too high for a single speed on a purely mechanical bike. Stock seat sucks, comfort package is a worthy addition; it really adds some needed shock absorption to the rear.

Aventon Aventure
$$
Somewhat
Depends. See below.

There are a lot of good bikes in the $1600 to $2300 price range, and many priced lower come with better components, but the Aventon frame is quite nice, the 4" tires combined with the front suspension fork make for a very cushy ride, and the motor has more power than most others in this price tier. I am adding a second e-bike for guests to use and it will not be an Aventon Aventure. For about $300 less, for mainly paved use, I think the Ride 1Up 700 is actually better deal. Better components, better tires (though commuter tread rather than knobby albeit with a lower capacity battery.

Alternately spend a little more on a Biktrix out of Canada and get much more bike than you get with the Chinese direct-to-consumer options that dominate this price tier. The Juggernaut Hub Duo runs around $2400 but has better components and many more options (better brakes, different tire/wheel options, dual battery option, etc.

Other Chinese direct to consumer bikes that cost less than the Aventure, but exceed it in some particulars are the Himiway Cruiser and the Rad Rover 6 Plus. The Himiway has mechanical discs as its main drawback. The Rad Rover 6 Plus has better kit for less money all the way around, but lacks a fully integrated battery so looks a bit clunky compared to the smooth integration of the battery on the Aventure.

I'd recommend the Aventure over any of these others only if (1) you want to spend about $2000, (2) plan to ride a significant percentage of the time off pavement, and (3) want a quick bike. I've left mine set as a Level 2 eBike to extend my range per charge. In Level 2 guise I get about 80-85 miles per charge in a rolling ill environment with use of PAS 2, 3 and rarely 4 for steeper climbs. I suspect with street tread tires, similar battery capacity and motor wattage and a slightly lighter bike, I could attain an even better range per charge. It matters to me because I ride mine to trailheads for hilly hiking, and then back home after the hike, with the ride to and from being up to about 30-miles each way. I would like to hit trailheads even further afield, but 60-ish miles is my comfort level. To squeeze 80 miles in a charge, the pace has to be Level 2 PAS 2 mostly. By reducing the rolling resistance and weight I'm hoping to see an 80-85 mile range per charge out of a Level 2 bike at a PAS 3 boost level.

Setting the bike to Level 3 gets you a top boost speed of 28mph rather than 20mph, but cuts your range per charge in half. For me, an extra peak 8mph simply ain't worth the massive hit in utility for the bike in terms of range.

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
Hi, I bought a ride1up 700series xr $$. I have gathered from other responses that it requires a little more assembly than others but I don't know. This is my first e-bike. The bike itself is heavy 62lbs. But I really like the look and for me it rides great. It also comes with tecktro brakes work very well for me. Has a 750 watt bafang hub motor with a 48v 15ah battery Samsung. I kinda wish it was a little larger but I am a big guy so 40 mile range with minimal effort is pretty good to me. Shimano gearset acera 8speed. Throttle says up to 20mph but mine goes farther. Display is a little small I think but very easy to read with large numbers. It also has a lot of tune ability compared to what some others have told me about theirs. The customer service is great but you can't get them on the phone. I know contradictory. Email and they are quick. I had a bent derailleur they just sent new and were willing to pay for install I needed. I complained about tubes they just sent more nothing really wrong with the old but loosing some pressure. I would recommend. I would also recommend what you are doing wish I had done some test riding at local shops but not any around. Anyway hope that may help someone. Thanks to the others that replied too I am just as curious.

Back